Friday, December 17, 2010

Holiday Blessings

It's been a little difficult to get into the Christmas Spirit as much as I would like lately given the fact that CO has been warmer than FL and all I want for Christmas is...snow! One of the things I love about our beautiful state is that I can usually count on it to give me the right weather to help my holiday mood, but not this year. We were told a couple of days ago that we might get a little but alas, the ground was bare when I woke up the next morning. I was THRILLED to wake up this morning and see a beautiful cover of white on the ground! Not too much, not too little and it sparkled like diamonds. It was just what I needed as I enjoyed wrapping up my last day of work before the 2 week holiday break and finally getting started on wrapping some presents to go under the treet. The highlight of the day that I think would have given me the Christmas Spirit that I've been longing for no matter the temperature outside or covering of white, was visiting Ashley & Robbie's classroom parties at the end of the day. Who can't get in the holiday mood when you see all of those kids running around with excitement and anticipation for Christmas Break and the excitement of the holidays?!

I've also been doing a little reflecting on the past year as I look forward to a fresh start in 2011. It's been a tough year for the Berry's while we struggled to get Mike's new job(s) financially stable after 2 layoffs, me going through several pay cuts that led to leaving that job and the legal issues I continue to deal with because of that decision, and a car accident that totaled my car and left me with whiplash, a concussion and additional emotional & financial stress. There was also a very unexpected death in my family that was a heartbreaking loss to deal with, as well as the decision I made to end an unhealthy releationship in my life that I'm still learning to deal with.

But do you know what? As much as I have said recently that I can't wait for a fresh start in the New Year, I have realized lately how truly blessed we have been in 2010 and how much I have to thank God for. Mike's job has finally brought some financial stability back into our life while still allowing him to be home-based and have some degree of control over his schedule to help with the kids activities. I ended up in a job that I love with a company that I think very highly of and look forward to representing everyday. I now get to be home-based as well, working in the school environment each day just like I choose to do in my personal life. Instead of begging for time off during holiday breaks or summer vacations, I'm now expected to work from home and can be here with the kids! While the car accident did have a negative impact, there was also tremendous blessing in the fact that no one else was hurt. Being rear-ended with the kids in the backseat, as well as being pushed into the middle of an intersection, could have had devastating results but God was watching over our family that night and kept us all safe. I have said many times that I would take any injury needed from the accident as long as my family was kept safe. The very unexpected loss of my Step-Aunt Karen at the very young age of 48 was devastating to everyone who loved her. Even with her loss, we were still able to find blessings in seeing and hearing what a profound impact she made on the lives of everyone she came in contact with, as well as the witness she was to so many with her faith in God. I was able to spend precious time with my sister and brother-in-law when I traveled to OH for her service and had the opportunity to reconnect with those that I have loved and looked up to as true family for the past 30 years. The day after I returned home and was sitting in church, the sermon was almost verbatim in sharing some of the same stories from the Bible that had been shared at Karen's service that had meant so much to her and it was as if she was sitting right there beside me. We now have a new Angel in heaven watching over all who loved her. I've always been told that if someone doesn't add to your life and only brings you down, than it is best to end that relationship. I had to do that this past year and in the midst of the emotional turmoil that came along with that decision, there was also a huge sense of relief and control that I had been missing for years.

My amazing husband of 13 years, along with my beautiful 11 year old daughter and (almost) 9 year old son are the reason I keep pushing through life's difficulties and they are why I am able to find joy even in the midst of turmoil. To have the love of my soulmate, and to see the joy and love in my children's eyes everyday puts a smile on my face, a calmness in my heart and a warmth in my soul that nothing can ever take away. Looking at the big picture, we have much more than many others do financially, physically and emotionally and I want to thank God for watching over us and blessing us throughout the year, as well as the many family and friends who offered prayers and support throughout the year. Our life is enriched by so many who bring happiness and joy to our life and I can't wait to see what memories will be made in 2011!

No comments: