Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Capturing Memories


I love my job as a Sales Professional for Lifetouch National School Studios. I love this job that I started just over a year ago like nothing else I’ve ever done professionally. I finally found a career and company that allow me to sell something I truly enjoy and believe in, as well as giving me the ability to have a schedule that matches my children’s school schedule. I honestly feel like God put this opportunity in my lap just when I needed it. Those are some of the things that I love about my job, but what about things I don’t enjoy about the job? Afterall, nothing is perfect.

I experienced a part of my career today that is both a blessing and heartbreaking all at the same time. I work with schools from elementary up through high school and unfortunately, sometimes these schools are dealt a tragedy in dealing with the loss of a student. Lifetouch provides a “sympathy” package of photos to go to the family of any of our students who pass away. It’s something that makes me proud to be in the line of work that I am, while at the same time being the one thing that I have absolutely dreaded having to be a part of.

Today I had the heartbreaking duty of delivering a sympathy package to one of my elementary schools who lost one of their students and families this past week after a car accident. This sweet child passed away on Sunday (Mother’s Day) as I sat in church trying to enjoy my own celebration with my husband and children but couldn’t help thinking of this young girl’s mother who was grieving the loss of her husband and two children on this holiday. How could I possibly celebrate with my own family when thinking of a woman who had just lost three of the most important people in her life? I prayed. I prayed for her strength and comfort and I thanked God that he left her on Earth to care for her remaining children. I’m also thankful that I have a career that allows me to capture moments of a life in progress to share with their families. Ideally, these moments are captured and enjoyed for years to come but in instances like these, I am grateful that the memories exist for loved ones to have in honor of a life lived, loved and treasured.

I don’t think that I will ever view picture day at one of my school’s the same and I know that I definitely won’t take picture day for granted again when it comes to my own children. Do you sometimes look at the school picture order form and cringe at the price or inconvenience in scheduling? The next time those thoughts come to mind as you are preparing for school picture day, I would challenge you to think…”Would I feel the same way if I knew these might be the last photos of my child ever taken?”


Seize the time we have with our loved ones now and grab a camera to capture those memories. Hopefully we will all look back on them fondly as we sit rocking in our chairs years into the future but if we aren’t granted that wish, at least we will have captured the memories to remember and share with others.

No comments: