Thursday, March 31, 2011

Savoring Sweet Snuggles


I'm realizing more and more how quickly the years have flown by since the kids were born. When you're in the midst of the baby stage and toddler years, everyone tells you it will fly by and even though we know it's true we still tend to deny it.

I look at my beautiful little girl these days and realize that she is more young woman than she is little girl. We only have 7 years left until she goes away to college and leaves us and I KNOW those 7 years are going to fly by. She is kind, loving, mature, well spoken, talented, an Honor Roll student and loves volunteering and giving of her time. As parents, Mike and I couldn't be more proud of her and I know that we've done a great job as parents when I look at her. Every once in awhile she will ask me to lay down and snuggle with her at bedtime and just recently asked if we could have a "sleepover" in her room sometime soon.


On the other hand, no matter how old Robbie gets, I still always look at him as "My Baby." At 9 years old, I know that we're in store for big changes with him just around the corner as well. However, Robbie is still the child who just can't go to sleep without his hug and kiss from Mom. I also have to promise him that I will come back and check on him AFTER he's fallen asleep. While he generally chooses Dad over Mom for most things, it's always me that he wants when he's not feeling well or needing some extra snuggles. He loves the chance to sleep with me at night if Mike just happens to be out of town. Even though I look forward to the opportunity to have the bed to myself for a night or two, I just can't resist giving in for at least one night. With Mike gone for a couple of nights this week, Robbie immediately asked if he could sleep with me. I let him last night and as we snuggled and he wrote sweet I Love You Mom messages to me on his Nintendo DS, I savored the moment knowing that pretty soon he will consider himself too big to sleep with Mom when Dad is away. Even though this is the child who constantly seems to be into something and is giving me a new grey hair each day, I still look at him and see his sweet smile and hear his sweet voice saying "Mom will you come tuck me in?" and I know all of the grey hairs are worth it and I can never stay upset with him for long. While he has a talent for always finding trouble somehow, he is also a great student, fantastic athlete and has a true heart of gold and I know that again, we've done a great job as parents...God just decided to spice it up a little the second time around!


As we wrap up 3rd and 5th grade this year, I am SAVORING everything I can with them right now. Watching Ashley grow and mature in her school and pageant activities and watching Robbie excel in sports and academics just makes the sweet snuggle moments even more precious because I know they will be gone before I know it and they'll just be a sweet memory.

No comments: